#ThrowbackThursday Featuring Jack JohnsonJune 20, 2013
The son of a surfing great, Jack Johnson initially set out to follow in his old man’s foot steps- or board steps. But a nasty surfing accident at the age of seventeen shut down his professional career. The ocean’s loss is music’s gain. Born, bred and still living in the 50th state (that would be Hawaii) Jack dropped his first CD, Brushfire Fairy Tales in 2001. His feel good, rootsy brand of rock caught folks attention but it was with On and On – his sophomore CD (and Republic Records debut) that Jack really made his mark. On and On went to #3 on the Billboard Top 200, was the #3 Top Internet album and went platinum. That hit was followed up with 2005’s In Between Dreams (debuted at #1) 2008’s Sleep Through the Static and 2010′s To the Sea. In tribute to his new forthcoming album, From Here to Now to You, here are some of things that that make Jack Johnson so freaking cool.
1. He’s taller than that other platinum selling Hawaiian singer whose first name rhymes with Juno.
2. He surfs.
3. With his shirt off.
4. While not as important a worldwide figure, Jack sells more records than that other famous person from Hawaii. (hint- he’s the President).
5. Sing-A-Longs and Lullabies for the Film Curious George was #1 on the BB Top 200.
6. Which means, he’s the only artist to stack chips writing songs about a monkey.
7. When the headliners at this years’ Bonnaroo had to drop out, Jack saved the day.
8. Jack could play the Silver Surfer without a stunt double.
9. He married his college sweetheart.
10. By all accounts Jack has nothing to do with the Illuminati.