1. He has Jesse McCartney to thank for his initial viral video success. “My first cover was ‘Beautiful Soul’ by Jesse McCartney,” Mahone — who began recording goofy video clips and covers on YouTube when he was 15 with his pal Alex Constancio — tells Billboard. Mahone has also covered tracks by Rascal Flatts, Drake, Bruno Mars and Jason Mraz.
2. Sure, he’s got the shaggy ‘do and syrupy sweet vocals, but don’t call Mahone the next Justin Bieber. “I want people to give me a chance to show that I‘m different. I’m not trying to copy him or take anything from him. I’m a person,” the teen tells The Huffington Post. “My music is different and I’m just trying to do my own thing.”
3. He’s Just Like Us! Like any normal teenage boy, Mahone loves to kill time at the arcade. “Sometimes I like to go to Dave & Busters with my fans,” he tells Billboard, referring to the restaurant and arcade chain. “It’s a fun thing for us to do together and it’s important for me to update them on everything I do and hang out with them, having pizza parties or whatever.”
4. He’s in tight with Taylor Swift. “She’s so nice,” Mahone says of his “Red” concert tour mate. “People probably don’t know how real and extremely down to earth she is. She’s one of the sweetest girls I’ve ever met.”
5. Said to be attracted to girls who can tell a good knock-knock joke, it’s clear the singer appreciates a good laugh. After all, he was on America’s Funniest Home Videos as a toddler. In the AFV clip, a 3-year-old Mahone, dressed in a camouflage tee and cowboy hat, will only sing when given a microphone. His song of choice? “Old MacDonald Had a Farm,” performed complete with a tip of his hat at the end!
In other Austin Mahone news…
Distracted by his buds on the other side of the booth scarfing down Egg McMuffins, our Mahomie goes on to fumble the lyrics, “What about love?/ You bacon all, and leave me muffin.”
Watch Austin Mahone’s beyond adorbable McDonald’s commercial: